Most Active Stories
- Rosetta: Space probe drops robotic lander on comet 67P
- Report: NC 4th in Nation For School Shootings Since Newtown Tragedy
- Meet the Artist: Watercolor Painter Alexis Lavine
- McCrory Pushes Tax Credits At Opening For Company That Hasn't Used Them
- UNCSA's "Dying For It," Tiny House Expedition, Jeremy B. Jones, and Piedmont Triad Jazz Orchestra
Fri June 21, 2013
10 Things to Know for Friday June 21, 2013
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. BRAZIL CABINET TO MEET AFTER PROTESTS GROW VIOLENT About 1 million people rallied in more than 80 cities as Confederations Cup games began; one protester was killed and least 40 were hurt.
2. KEY IMMIGRATION COMPROMISE REACHED The Senate agreed on a military-style surge to secure the U.S.-Mexican border, boosting momentum for passage of the overhaul.
3. MARKETS STILL EDGY Asian stock markets take a beating early today and the Dow shed 350 points yesterday over concerns that the Fed could cut its stimulus program this year.
4. OBAMA NAMING NEW FBI DIRECTOR James Comey was George W. Bush's No. 2 at the Justice Department known for a 2004 standoff with the White house over warrantless wiretapping programs.
5. WATCHDOG BLAMES FIRM THAT CLEARED NSA LEAKER An inspector general says the company that conducted Edward Snowden's background check is under investigation.
6. WHO ISN'T ON GEORGE ZIMMERMAN'S JURY Men. Most of the six women picked to hear the racially charged murder trial are white.
7. MAN SHOT AT ISRAEL'S WESTERN WALL Police say a private security guard fired several times at a man who appeared suspicious and began shouting in Arabic at the Jerusalem holy site.
8. CLEARING THE HAZE IN SINGAPORE Indonesia has sent planes and helicopters to tamp down forest fires that are blamed for Singapore's three days of record-high air pollution.
9. WHY CRITICS SAY MAINE GOVERNOR HAS GONE TOO FAR Paul LePage, who once told NAACP leaders to "kiss my butt," on Thursday used a sexually vulgar phrase to describe how he thinks a lawmaker is taking advantage of people.
10. CHAMPIONS AGAIN LeBron James' 37 points led the Heat to a 95-88 Game 7 win over San Antonio and Miami's second straight championship. NBA FINALS