Most Active Stories
- Governor McCrory Says NC Teachers Will Receive Pay Increase; Medicaid Expansion Still Uncertain
- Doctor Who Illustrated, NC A&T Choir Live in Studio A, Civil War Monuments, and the Nutcracker
- FTCC Offers Free Training for Unemployed, Underemployed and Some Military Veterans
- Many Paths, Only One Leads You Home
- The Art of Sharing, A Dozen Dresses, Photography of Fred Stein, Edward Steichen and More
Fri May 10, 2013
10 Things to Know for Friday May 10, 2013
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WITHDRAWING FROM THE WORLD
A global gang of criminals drains $45 million in a matter of hours from reserves held by banks to fund pre-paid credit cards.
2. POLICE DESCRIBE CLEVELAND CAPTIVES' ORDEAL
Horrific details emerge about the captivity of three women, while prosecutors weigh seeking the death penalty for suspect Ariel Castro.
3. HOW OBAMA IS PROMOTING HIS HEALTH CARE LAW
The president is targeting women and young people to help him stave off GOP challenges to "Obamacare."
4. BANGLADESH DEATH TOLL PASSES 1,000
Not many industrial accidents in the world have surpassed that of the collapse of the garment factory building.
5. WHY AT LEAST ONE SON DOESN'T LIKE MAKING MOM HIS 'FRIEND'
Some Facebook users don't care for the comments mothers share on the social media site.
6. WHERE MEN AND WOMEN ARE BATTLING OVER THE RIGHT TO PRAY
Israeli police are holding back hundreds of men protesting against women praying at Jerusalem's Western Wall.
7. THE NEW 'SCOTT' AND 'JENNIFER' Jacob and Sophia have become the top names for baby boys and girls. Parents with perhaps greater expectations are opting for the increasingly popular "Messiah."
8. OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST KILLED IN YACHT ACCIDENT
A sailboat capsizes in San Francisco Bay during a practice for the upcoming America's Cup, trapping Andrew "Bart" Simpson of Great Britain underneath.
9. LAST ORIGINAL JUDGE LEAVING 'AMERICAN IDOL'
Randy Jackson, after 12 seasons, says he wants to focus on his record label and other business opportunities.
10. SPOTLIGHT FINDS AUTHOR ONCE AGAIN
F. Scott Fitzgerald is enjoying a posthumous revival with the latest film remake of "The Great Gatsby," opening today.