Most Active Stories
- Rosetta: Space probe drops robotic lander on comet 67P
- Report: NC 4th in Nation For School Shootings Since Newtown Tragedy
- Meet the Artist: Watercolor Painter Alexis Lavine
- McCrory Pushes Tax Credits At Opening For Company That Hasn't Used Them
- UNCSA's "Dying For It," Tiny House Expedition, Jeremy B. Jones, and Piedmont Triad Jazz Orchestra
Fri October 4, 2013
10 Things to Know for Friday, October 5, 2013
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. POLICE LOOK FOR ANSWERS AT U.S. CAPITOL
Authorities investigate why a mother described as having post-partum depression tried to breach a barrier at the White House, setting off a chase that ended with her being shot dead.
2. GOP GOVERNORS EYE PRESIDENTIAL BIDS
With no end in sight to the federal government shutdown, potential Republican candidates are taking advantage and jockeying for position in the 2016 race.
3. SHIP ACCIDENT OFF ITALY LEAVES SCORES DEAD
In the dark of night, hundreds of men, women and children were flung into the sea after a fishing boat capsized following a fire on board. ITALY-MIGRANTS
4. TROPICAL STORM THREATENS GULF COAST
From a tiny island off the Louisiana coast to the beaches of Florida, people prepare for the first named weather system of the year to make landfall in the U.S.
5. WILL HE OR WON'T HE?
Syrian President Bashar Assad says it's still too early to say whether he'll run in next year's presidential vote, saying "the picture will be clearer" in the next four to five months.
6. WHAT'S INSIDE TWITTER IPO PAPERS?
The company discloses that it generated $317 million in revenue in 2012 and that it had more than 218 million active users as of the end of June.
7. HOW MANY WERE COMPRIMISED IN ADOBE HACK?
The software company that makes Photoshop says a cyberattack exposed the names and credit card information of 2.9 million customers. ADOBE-SECURITY
8. WHERE IMMIGRANTS CAN LEGALLY TAKE THE WHEEL
Gov. Jerry Brown signs a bill adding California to the growing list of states allowing immigrants in the U.S. illegally to obtain driver's licenses.
9. MAN CHARGED WITH RUNNING DRUG SITE DUE IN COURT
A bail hearing is scheduled for Ross William Ulbricht, the San Francisco man known online as Dread Pirate Roberts who the FBI says operated a vast black market website.
10. WHO WAS HONORED BY SPIELBERG?
The Hollywood director appeared in New York to acknowledge George Clooney's "humble humanitarian" work around the globe, especially in the Darfur region.