Most Active Stories
Thu June 20, 2013
10 Things to Know for Thursday June 20, 2013
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TALIBAN OFFERS TO FREE US SOLDIER FOR GITMO DETAINEES The AP's Kathy Gannon reports the Afghan Taliban says U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl of Idaho, taken prisoner in 2009, is "in good condition."
2. MOURNING FOR ICONIC 'SOPRANOS' STAR GANDOLFINI The show's creator, David Chase, called the 51-year-old actor who died in Italy "one of the greatest actors of this or any time."
3. IMMIGRATION DEAL GAINING MOMENTUM Officials said senators were near a compromise to double border security before allowing millions living in the U.S. illegally a pathway to citizenship.
4. BRAZIL MAKES MOVE TO QUELL PROTESTS The mayors of Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro agreed to rescind higher bus and subway fares, but big demonstrations were still planned at Confederations Cup games.
5. WHERE DOCTORS ARE NEEDED The AP's Kristin M. Hall reports that Afghanistan's National Army has only 632 doctors to care for about 177,000 wounded soldiers.
6. INVESTORS SPOOKED BY FED World markets slid today and the Dow fell by more than 200 points after the Fed announced it could scale back a program this year that kept interest rates down.
7. FBI USED DRONES FOR SURVEILLANCE Mueller tells Congress that his agency now uses the unmanned aircraft only rarely, but privacy concerns are still "worthy of debate."
8. THOUSANDS STRANDED BY INDIA FLOODS Rescuers used helicopters and climbed mountain paths to reach survivors trapped by landslides. At least 100 people have been killed.
9. WHAT'S BEING BUILT TO SAVE THE HUMAN RACE A California man is building what he calls the world's largest underground survivor shelter in limestone caves dug more than a century ago in Kansas.
10. JAMES AND DUNCAN BATTLE FOR LEGACY IN NBA FINALS Miami and San Antonio's big stars have won championships before, and are looking to elevate their spot in history in Game 7 tonight.