Most Active Stories
- Developer: Demolishing Historic Apartments Will Boost Winston-Salem Neighborhood
- UNC System Braces For State Budget Cuts
- Major Downtown Winston-Salem Development Awaits City Council Decision
- Online Marketing Tool May Improve Patient Centered Care
- Ardmore Supporters Meet To Discuss Neighborhood Redevelopment Plan
Tue June 25, 2013
10 Things to Know for Tuesday June 25, 2013
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. SEARCHING FOR SNOWDEN He didn't board a Cuba-bound flight he was registered on in Moscow and the foreign minister of Ecuador, where he sought asylum, says he doesn't know where the NSA leaker is.
2. ATTACK ON AFGHAN PRESIDENTIAL PALACE The Taliban claimed responsibility for the suicide car bomb in one of the most secure areas of the capital. It wasn't clear if President Hamid Karzai was there at the time.
3. INTERNET SHUTDOWN ON KOREA ANNIVERSARY Major websites in both North and South Korea crashed for hours on the 63rd anniversary of the start of the Korean war.
4. WHAT PROSECUTORS WANT ZIMMERMAN JURY TO HEAR They will ask a judge today to allow phone calls the ex-neighborhood watchman has made to police about suspicious people in his neighborhood.
5. OBAMA'S CLIMATE CHANGE PLAN The president will propose the first-ever carbon dioxide emission limits on new and existing power plants at a speech today.
6. IMMIGRATION TEST CLEARS WAY FOR SENATE VOTE Senate passage of the overhaul that allows millions a chance at citizenship is likely this week, but House Republicans have shown little support.
7. AFFIRMATIVE ACTION SURVIVES SUPREME COURT REVIEW But the ruling regarding the University of Texas seems certain to generate more challenges to race-conscious admissions plans.
8. WHY THE WEATHER IS SO EXTREME The AP's Seth Borenstein says the jet stream that generally rushes from west to east in a straight line has been wobbly and going north and south.
9. ANOTHER BUSINESS DROPS PAULA DEEN Smithfield Foods, which sold hams with Deen's name on it, ended its relationship with the food celebrity after she admitted using racial slurs.
10. LAST-MINUTE GOALS POWER CHICAGO TO STANLEY CUP Brian Bickell and Dave Bolland each scored 17 seconds apart to give the Blackhawks a 3-2 win over the Boston Bruins and its second Cup in four years.