Most Active Stories
- 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships to Take Place in Greensboro
- As Herbalife Opens, Incentive-Makers Learn From Dell Closure
- Dense Fog Advisory Thurday Morning; Schools Announce 2-Hour Delays
- Classical Revolution Brings Mozart to the Bar; First Stop, Gibb's Hundred Brewing Company
- Could Third Time Be a Charm For Hobbs-Friendly Development in Greensboro?
Tue March 4, 2014
10 Things to Know for Tuesday, March 4, 2014
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today...
1. PUTIN HALTS WAR GAMES NEAR UKRAINE'S BORDER It's not clear if his order is an attempt to heed the West's call to de-escalate the crisis that has put Ukraine's future on the line. UKRAINE
2. KERRY ON WAY TO KIEV He'll try to reinforce U.S. support for the new government as the U.S. and its top allies grapple with Russia's military incursion into Ukraine. UNITED STATES-RUSSIA
3. PISTORIUS TRIAL INTERRUPTED The judge adjourns the proceedings after a prosecutor claims that a picture of a woman testifying in court was being shown on TV, despite a privacy order. PISTORIUS-TRIAL
4. IN TEXAS, THE SEASON'S FIRST PRIMARY Ballots will be cast for a slate of open seats from the governor's office on down, with political observers watching to see how far to the right the state might go. TEXAS ELECTION
5. HOW DEEP FREEZE MEANS COLD CASH FOR SOME BUSINESSES The harsh winter has helped Ace Hardware sell the most snow blowers and shovels in a decade, while waterproof boots have flown off L.L. Bean's shelves. WINTER WEATHER WINNERS
6. NEPAL WORKS TO CLEAN THE PEAK Under new rules, Everest climbers will each be made to bring down at least 17 pounds of rubbish. NEPAL-EVEREST
7. WHERE ADDICTS OFTEN GET PAINKILLERS Most people who abuse the addictive drugs obtain them free from friends or relatives, a study finds. Drug dealers are a relatively uncommon source. PRESCRIPTION PAINKILLERS
8. PRODUCT PLACEMENT MIGHT HAVE PRECEDED ELLEN'S OSCAR SELFIE The snapshot, retweeted by millions, was taken with a device made by Samsung — a commercial sponsor of the Academy Awards. OSCARS-ELLEN'S SELFIE
9. WHO'S AGAIN THE RICHEST PERSON IN THE WORLD Bill Gates, who had trailed Mexican telecom mogul Carlos Slim Helu, reclaims the top spot on Forbes magazine's annual list with a fortune worth some $76 billion. FORBES-BILLIONAIRES
10. LEBRON HITS A CAREER HIGH The NBA superstar puts on a scoring show, pouring in 61 points as Miami beats Charlotte 124-107. BOBCATS-HEAT
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.