Most Active Stories
- Governor McCrory Says NC Teachers Will Receive Pay Increase; Medicaid Expansion Still Uncertain
- Video Project Delves into the Art of Sharing
- Closings, Delays, Cancellations: Tuesday November 26
- Many Paths, Only One Leads You Home
- FTCC Offers Free Training for Unemployed, Underemployed and Some Military Veterans
Wed February 13, 2013
2 Injured in "Officer-Involved" Shooting
One man is in critical condition, and a police officer was taken to the hospital with injuries after Greensboro Police responded to a 9-1-1 call.
About 7:30 Tuesday evening, a 9-1-1 call was received from a person who was concerned about a family member who lived in an apartment at 4509 Lawndale Drive. Of particular concern, police say, was the fact that one of the occupants was said to be a 2-year-old child. The caller said the adult male in the apartment had a history of mental illness and was irrationally.
The first officer on the scene was immediately assaulted by the man mentioned by the caller, and that resulted in the officer shooting the man multiple times. He was taken to Moses Cone Hospital, where he is reported in critical condition.
The officer was also taken to a hospital for treatment of her injuries, which are said to be non-life threatening.
An investigation continues