Most Active Stories
- New Business School at Wake Forest University Set to Open
- Helen Simoneau Danse Begins International Tour
- Pilot Program Invites Triad Residents to Join Residential Composting Effort
- Rob Frazier Brings an Evening of Bach to Centenary United Methodist Church
- Small WS Independent Pharmacist Challenges Big-Store Goliaths
Wed February 13, 2013
2 Injured in "Officer-Involved" Shooting
One man is in critical condition, and a police officer was taken to the hospital with injuries after Greensboro Police responded to a 9-1-1 call.
About 7:30 Tuesday evening, a 9-1-1 call was received from a person who was concerned about a family member who lived in an apartment at 4509 Lawndale Drive. Of particular concern, police say, was the fact that one of the occupants was said to be a 2-year-old child. The caller said the adult male in the apartment had a history of mental illness and was irrationally.
The first officer on the scene was immediately assaulted by the man mentioned by the caller, and that resulted in the officer shooting the man multiple times. He was taken to Moses Cone Hospital, where he is reported in critical condition.
The officer was also taken to a hospital for treatment of her injuries, which are said to be non-life threatening.
An investigation continues