Most Active Stories
- Governor McCrory Says NC Teachers Will Receive Pay Increase; Medicaid Expansion Still Uncertain
- Doctor Who Illustrated, NC A&T Choir Live in Studio A, Civil War Monuments, and the Nutcracker
- Many Paths, Only One Leads You Home
- FTCC Offers Free Training for Unemployed, Underemployed and Some Military Veterans
- The Art of Sharing, A Dozen Dresses, Photography of Fred Stein, Edward Steichen and More
Thu October 10, 2013
The Bel Canto Company Presents Double Double Toil and Trouble
By David Ford
Bel Canto Company presents Double Double Toil and Trouble, an exciting, international concert of cutting-edge 20th century pieces for vocal ensemble featuring Gian Carlo Menotti’s mammoth 30-minute work The Unicorn, The Gorgon and the Manticore: Three Sundays of a Poet (Introduction, Twelve Madrigals and six Interludes). The performances are Saturday, October 12 at 8:00 pm, and Monday, October 14 at 7:30 pm in Christ United Methodist Church in Greensboro. Bel Canto Artistic Director and conductor Welborn E. Young discussed the program with David Ford from his studio at the UNC at Greensboro where he is Director of Choral Activities and Associate Professor of Music. Also on the program will be music by Hungarian composer György Orbán, Norwegian Ola Gjeilo, and Finnish composers Bengt Johanson, and Jaako Mäntyjärvi. Today we give a sample from all four.
Bel Canto contracted Lauren Kearns, who choreographed and filmed the dance interludes for the Menotti. This film with scrolling text for the madrigals will be projected during the performance.