Most Active Stories
- Wake Forest Baptist Health President Leaving, Restructuring Continues
- Molly McGinn, RiverRun, Mary Poppins, Surry Old Time Fiddler's Convention, and Present Continuous
- Broadcast Of Sunrise Service Dates To The Early Days Of Local Radio
- Tavis Smiley, Diana Greene, Valerie Nieman, Ken Bloom, UNCG Percussion, & Imagination Installations
- Bill Ties Professor's Salaries To Classroom Time
Sat June 7, 2014
Bill Clinton Memorializes Maya Angelou
Former President Bill Clinton was among the speakers at Maya Angelou’s memorial service at Wake Forest Saturday.
Angelou has been closely linked to the Clinton presidency since she read her poem, “On the Pulse of Morning,” at Clinton’s first inauguration in January, 1993.
Clinton said he first became acquainted with Angelou when he read her 1969 autobiography “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.” Much of the book takes place in the small Arkansas town Stamps, about a half-hour’s drive from Clinton’s hometown of Hope, Arkansas.
Clinton spoke for about 12 minutes Saturday, mixing comments that were at times emotional and at other times humorous.
Clinton said Angelou taught people that nothing is more powerful than giving honor to the things we share. Angelou died May 28 in her Winston-Salem home. Oprah Winfrey and First Lady Michelle Obama were among the other speakers.