Most Active Stories
- The Power of Service: Inspiring Winston-Salem One Song at a Time
- Paperhand Puppet Intervention Presents 15th Annual Giant Puppet Pageant
- Greensboro-Based Band Irata Rocks Winston-Salem to Chapel Hill This Weekend
- Melody Moezzi's "Haldol and Hyacinths", Arts for Life, Jiliana Dulaney's Haute Chocolate, and Irata
- Meet the Arts Nonprofit: Arts for Life
Mon January 6, 2014
Brutal Cold is On the Way
Right now, as you read this, you may think it's cold out there. But this is as warm as it's going to get for a day or so.
Temperatures in the Piedmont are already dropping, and by early Tuesday, they'll be in single digits. The National Weather Service forecast for Winston-Salem is calling for an overnight low of 4 degrees. And that will mean a wind chill of 11 degrees below zero! That, of course, is most unusual for central North Carolina.
But even 4 degrees is relatively balmy compared with the -4 they're expecting in Boone overnight. And with the wind and blowing snow, it'll feel like -27 in Watauga County.
With weather this cold, common sense is one of our best friends: Don't go out unless you absolutely must, and if you must, dress in warm layers. And don't forget your hat and gloves. Hypothermia and frostbite are culprits to take seriously.
National Weather Service meteorologist Brandon Vincent says the temperatures will start to normalize in fairly short order, though. In the Triad we should once again see temperatures in the upper 30s or low 40s.