Most Active Stories
- New Business School at Wake Forest University Set to Open
- Helen Simoneau Danse Begins International Tour
- Concert Will Showcase Pop Music of Winston-Salem
- North Carolina Residents Reflect on the One Year Anniversary of the Passage of Amendment One
- Pilot Program Invites Triad Residents to Join Residential Composting Effort
Tue November 27, 2012
Cancer Survivors Continue to Have Quality of Life Issues
The first national study to assess the quality of life of cancer survivors shows that more a third of all cancer survivors still experience physical and mental health issues. Dr. Kathryn Weaver, assistant professor at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and one of the researchers on the study, says that until now, the medical community didn’t have clear data on survivors’ quality of life issues.
Dr. Weaver says making healthy lifestyle changes, such as maintaining a healthy weight and staying active, will help patient’s quality of life overall. She also says creating a survivorship care plan that includes follow-up meetings with their doctor, will help patients know what to expect and prepare for in the years following completion of their treatment.
For more information on Survivorship Care Plans:
American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/survivorshipcareplans/index
Lance Armstrong foundation http://www.livestrongcareplan.org/