Most Active Stories
- Governor McCrory Says NC Teachers Will Receive Pay Increase; Medicaid Expansion Still Uncertain
- Many Paths, Only One Leads You Home
- Doctor Who Illustrated, NC A&T Choir Live in Studio A, Civil War Monuments, and the Nutcracker
- FTCC Offers Free Training for Unemployed, Underemployed and Some Military Veterans
- The Art of Sharing, A Dozen Dresses, Photography of Fred Stein, Edward Steichen and More
Tue November 27, 2012
Cancer Survivors Continue to Have Quality of Life Issues
The first national study to assess the quality of life of cancer survivors shows that more a third of all cancer survivors still experience physical and mental health issues. Dr. Kathryn Weaver, assistant professor at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and one of the researchers on the study, says that until now, the medical community didn’t have clear data on survivors’ quality of life issues.
Dr. Weaver says making healthy lifestyle changes, such as maintaining a healthy weight and staying active, will help patient’s quality of life overall. She also says creating a survivorship care plan that includes follow-up meetings with their doctor, will help patients know what to expect and prepare for in the years following completion of their treatment.
For more information on Survivorship Care Plans:
American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/survivorshipcareplans/index
Lance Armstrong foundation http://www.livestrongcareplan.org/