Most Active Stories
- Weather-Related Closings and Delays for Friday March 7, 2014
- Weather-Related Closings and Delays for Tuesday March 4, 2014
- Your Federal Tax Refund Could Be Delayed
- Guilford County Schools Closed Monday Because of Ongoing Power Outages
- 'Thank God for Gas, Generators & Headlights - Guilford County Residents Struggle Without Power
Wed October 2, 2013
Charlotte Pastor Kicks Off US Senate Campaign
A Charlotte minister is unveiling his bid for the US Senate seat currently held by Democrat Kay Hagan, with an all-day campaign event that will take him to North Carolina's largest media markets.
The Reverend Mark Harris will begin his campaign kickoff this morning in Wilmington, and fly to New Bern, Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro, and the Asheville area. He'll wrap things up tonight with a reception at a Charlotte hotel.
Harris and three other Republicans are seeking the GOP nomination next May, including House Speaker Thom Tills.
Harris is the pastor at Charlotte's First Baptist Church, and the outgoing president of the Baptist State Convention. His profile rose among social conservatives while speaking out last year for a constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.