Most Active Stories
- The Modern Scribe: John Stevens and the Art of Letterforming
- Governor McCrory Says NC Teachers Will Receive Pay Increase; Medicaid Expansion Still Uncertain
- Country Music Star Scotty McCreery Will Sign Autographs at Lowes Foods in Clemmons
- Reducing Gun Violence, One Bell at a Time
- The Real Home of Christmas
Thu July 25, 2013
Cycling Championships begin in High Point
The USA Cycling Professional Criterium National Championships begin in High Point today. It’s the first time the men’s and women’s national championships have ever been held at the same time in the same city. Also for the first time, the winners of the men’s and women’s events will ride away with the same prize purse.
High Point beat out Austin and Boulder to host the championships. Chip Duckett, a High Point physician and owner of Mock Orange Bikes, has been the driving force behind bringing the event to the Triad. He says the city’s facilities clinched the deal.
Duckett notes that two of the top teams happen to have NC connections. "Probably the top team is United Healthcare, based out of Minneapolis, but the team resides in Asheville. And one of the other teams is SmartStop/Mountain Khakis based out of Winston-Salem." The vast majority of teams are from elsewhere in the country.
The national championship races will be held Saturday, but the festivities run through Sunday, with films, music and exhibits. For more information, visit the High Point Cycling Classic website.