Most Active Stories
- Developer: Demolishing Historic Apartments Will Boost Winston-Salem Neighborhood
- UNC System Braces For State Budget Cuts
- Major Downtown Winston-Salem Development Awaits City Council Decision
- Online Marketing Tool May Improve Patient Centered Care
- Ardmore Supporters Meet To Discuss Neighborhood Redevelopment Plan
Tue April 22, 2014
For Early Childhood Education, Tulsa, Okla., Stands Out
Originally published on Tue April 22, 2014 9:54 am
The federal government spends almost $8 billion on preschool programs across the country, mostly on low income 4-year-olds. States spend billions more. But with at least 30 states planning to expand access to pre-K and President Obama promoting "preschool for all," what constitutes a quality preschool program?
NPR's education team set out to better understand what separates the nation's best programs from the rest, and that journey led to a surprising place: Tulsa, Okla. You can read more about early childhood education and what sets Tulsa apart — and watch a video from a Tulsa preschool classroom, here.