Most Active Stories
- Developer: Demolishing Historic Apartments Will Boost Winston-Salem Neighborhood
- UNC System Braces For State Budget Cuts
- Major Downtown Winston-Salem Development Awaits City Council Decision
- Online Marketing Tool May Improve Patient Centered Care
- Ardmore Supporters Meet To Discuss Neighborhood Redevelopment Plan
Fri November 15, 2013
Erin Gruwell, the Teacher Behind the Freedom Writers, to Speak at Salem College
Erin Gruwell is the educator and mentor behind the group known as the Freedom Writers. The personal stories, classroom adventures, and educational triumphs of Erin and her students are recorded in their moving collaboration and New York Times Bestseller, The Freedom Writers Diary: How a Teacher and 150 Teens Used Writing to Change Themselves and the World Around Them. Their story was made into a feature film in 2007 starring Hilary Swank as Gruwell.
On Tuesday, November 19th Erin will be speaking at Salem College in the Hanes Auditorium at 7:30pm. A reception and book signing will follow. Bethany Chafin spoke to Erin from the Freedom Writers Foundation office in Long Beach, California, and she began by asking Erin about her visit to the College.
In case you were wondering, all 150 of Erin’s students graduated from High School, and many are now pursuing careers in education themselves.