Most Active Stories
- Developer: Demolishing Historic Apartments Will Boost Winston-Salem Neighborhood
- UNC System Braces For State Budget Cuts
- Major Downtown Winston-Salem Development Awaits City Council Decision
- Conversations On Jazz: Marcus Miller And David Sanborn Come To The Triad
- Online Marketing Tool May Improve Patient Centered Care
Mon May 5, 2014
The Heart of A 'Ticking' Lion
One Triad woman refuses to let a physical 'glitch' slow her down.
Heart disease is the number one killer of women, causing one in three deaths each year. That's roughly one woman every minute.
Guest commentator Donna Cannon has spent most of her life beating these odds. This year, she’s a Forsyth County Go Red for Women Ambassador. It’s a national campaign by the American Heart Association educating women about stroke and cardiovascular disease. Saturday, May 17, women just like Donna will be out in force participating in The Greater Guilford County Heart & Stroke Walk. The next big event will be The Ramblin' Rose. There will be Go Red teams participating in this fun-filled triathlon just for women. It will be held in Winston-Salem on Sunday, August 17. Funds raised benefit the Gateway YWCA, the American Heart Association and the Go Red for Women Campaign.
Cannon is also the principal at Diggs-Latham Elementary School in Winston-Salem. In this segment of Real People, Real Stories, she describes a heart-felt journey.