Most Active Stories
- In Depth: Greensboro Lawyer Explains What New Federal Pregnancy Guidelines Mean For You
- New River Blues Festival Kicks Off This Weekend
- UNCG Students and Faculty Collaborate on Collage Performance
- New Zealand-Based Johnny Possum Band Performs in the Triad
- Wake Forest Biologist Studies The Galapagos Blue-Footed Boobies' Struggle To Survive
Mon May 13, 2013
Helen Simoneau Danse Begins International Tour
Dancer Helen Simoneau was born and raised in a small village of 1,000 people in Quebec, and somehow made her way to Winston-Salem, North Carolina via the UNC School of the Arts as a High School student.
What she lacked in formal training up to that point she more than made up for in hard work and dedication to her art while in school. That effort along with the mentorship she received at UNCSA throughout High School and college has come to fruition in her award-winning solo dance work, and critically acclaimed company Helen Simoneau Danse. The Winston-Salem and New York based group performs regularly at Hanesbrands Theatre, and beginning May 13th Helen and her work will be representing Montreal during a month-long tour to Canada, Tokyo and Korea with residencies and performances scheduled at each location. She’ll be presenting her new work Flight Distance III: Chain Suite as a part of the International Danse X tour alongside works by her colleagues in Japan and South Korea. Helen’s Flight Distance III is a duet that she’ll perform with UNCSA alumna Kristin Taylor. Helen stopped by WFDD to talk with David Ford.