Most Active Stories
- 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships to Take Place in Greensboro
- As Herbalife Opens, Incentive-Makers Learn From Dell Closure
- Dense Fog Advisory Thurday Morning; Schools Announce 2-Hour Delays
- Classical Revolution Brings Mozart to the Bar; First Stop, Gibb's Hundred Brewing Company
- Could Third Time Be a Charm For Hobbs-Friendly Development in Greensboro?
Thu March 20, 2014
Jeff Bzdelik Resigns as Wake Forest Basketball Coach
Wake Forest Athletic Director Ron Wellman says a national search begins immediately to replace Jeff Bzdelik, who resigned as head basketball coach Thursday.
Bzdelik was the coach of Colorado University when he was tapped to replace Dino Gaudio as Wake’s coach in 2010. Over the next four years he compiled a record of 51 wins and 76 losses. In the Atlantic Coast Conference, Bzdelik went 17 and 51. During a press conference Thursday, Wellman says that despite his overall record Bzdelik did good things during his tenure at Wake Forest.
Wellman says he met with Bzdelik and the team prior to the announcement. He says Bzdelik remained upbeat about the future of the program. But many of the team members expressed disappointment to Wellman that Bzdelik would be leaving.
When asked what he was looking for in the next coach, Wellman replied simply quote a winner. But he also said the team is talented with strong recruits coming in, so the job is a good opportunity for the right person.
Wellman says Bzdelik submitted his resignation following an annual end-of-the-season review of the basketball program.