Most Active Stories
- The Modern Scribe: John Stevens and the Art of Letterforming
- Country Music Star Scotty McCreery Will Sign Autographs at Lowes Foods in Clemmons
- Governor McCrory Says NC Teachers Will Receive Pay Increase; Medicaid Expansion Still Uncertain
- Reducing Gun Violence, One Bell at a Time
- Hidden Quarry in Winston-Salem Could Become Tourist Attraction
Mon February 18, 2013
Let's Grow Old Together
Most of us have grown up hearing family stories. This was certainly true for guest commentator Terri Kirby Erickson.
She calls her family’s stories ‘intimate history lessons’ giving her insight into the lives of her relatives from years ago. In this segment of WFDD’s Real People, Real Stories, Erickson shares the special love story of her great grandparents, Sam and Nannie White. They married in Toast, North Carolina, in the early 1900’s and were together for more than 60 years.
Erickson is the author of three collections of poetry, including In the Palms of Angels (Press 53), winner of a Nautilus Silver Award for Poetry and the Gold Medal for Poetry in the Next Generation Indie Book Awards. Her work has been published in the 2013 Poet's Market, Ted Kooser's American Life in Poetry, The Christian Science Monitor, Boston Literary Magazine, Literary Mama, storySouth, JAMA, Verse Daily and has won numerous awards.