Most Active Stories
- Developer: Demolishing Historic Apartments Will Boost Winston-Salem Neighborhood
- UNC System Braces For State Budget Cuts
- Major Downtown Winston-Salem Development Awaits City Council Decision
- Online Marketing Tool May Improve Patient Centered Care
- Ardmore Supporters Meet To Discuss Neighborhood Redevelopment Plan
Thu May 30, 2013
The Marvelous Wonderettes Sing Audiences Back to the 50's
The Marvelous Wonderettes is a musical comedy by Roger Bean that salutes the high school Songleader squads of the 1950s using pop songs from that era to tell the tale.
It’s 1958, Super Senior Prom night at Springfield High where we reunite with the Wonderettes, four girls with hopes and dreams as big as their crinoline skirts! As we learn about their lives and loves, and take a peek into their futures, we are treated to the girls performing classic ‘50's and ‘60's songs like Mr. Sandman, Lipstick on Your Collar, Teacher’s Pet and dozens of others. Act Two finds us welcoming Betty Jean, Cindy Lou, Missy, Suzy and their classmates back for their ten year reunion and a musical assessment of how love and life has been treating them a decade later. The Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance brings it all to life with their production of The Marvelous Wonderettes opening Friday night, June 14th at 8:00 pm and running through June 30th with Sunday matinees at 2:00 pm at the WSTA. Theatre Alliance actors Heather Hamby-Maggs and Heidi Shafer spoke with David Ford about the show.