Most Active Stories
- Governor McCrory Says NC Teachers Will Receive Pay Increase; Medicaid Expansion Still Uncertain
- Doctor Who Illustrated, NC A&T Choir Live in Studio A, Civil War Monuments, and the Nutcracker
- FTCC Offers Free Training for Unemployed, Underemployed and Some Military Veterans
- The Real Home of Christmas
- The Art of Sharing, A Dozen Dresses, Photography of Fred Stein, Edward Steichen and More
Tue July 30, 2013
Meet the Artist: Asheville-Based Bluegrass Trio Red June
Red June visited the Triad for a special outdoor CD release party and concert. The bluegrass, beer and BBQ event took place at Reynolda House Museum of American Art in Winston-Salem, and it featured John Cloyd Miller on guitar, mandolin and vocals, Natalya Weinstein on fiddle and vocals, and Winston-Salem native Will Straughan on guitar and vocals. Will played for years in the Emma Gibbs Band before moving to the mountains. Red June’s new CD is Beauty Will Come, and the tune we've sampled today is a hauntingly beautiful one from the album that Will wrote. It’s called "Soul’s Repair".
Their 2012 release Beauty Will Come received rave reviews, and John won 1st place in the Chris Austin Songwriting Contest at MerleFest this year in the Bluegrass category for his song, "Cloud of Dust" off that album. Last week Red June completed their second appearance on Music City Roots in Nashville. Find out more about their Fall tour schedule.