Most Active Stories
- New Funding Promises More Bicycling Options For Winston-Salem
- Military Training Exercises Over Tank Farm In Greensboro
- Radio 101: Student Navigates Three Cultures
- Master Watercolorist Guan Weixing And SECCA's "Alternative Modernisms" On Triad Arts Weekend
- 'Selma' March Draws Thousands To Winston-Salem
Mon December 16, 2013
The Modern Scribe: John Stevens and the Art of Letterforming
John Stevens is an internationally renowned letter artist. His work can be seen everywhere from book covers and libraries to branding images, magazines, even on guitar necks. He has worked with clients such as Atlantic Records, Lucasfilm, and Pepsi, among many others.
John occasionally teaches at the Calligraphy Centre in Winston-Salem and the Cheerio Calligraphy Retreat in the Blue Ridge Mountains – where calligraphers from around the world come to study with renowned instructors. John’s new book is titled Scribe: Artist of the Written Word and is published by John Neal Books in Greensboro. The 264-page book is filled with color images of John’s work throughout his career and insightfully discusses both the craft and expression in letterforming.
Check out John's recent work (inspired by Kurt Schwitters) which was featured as part of the Charlotte and Philip Hanes Art Gallery exhibit Letterforming: