Most Active Stories
- 'In God We Trust' Motto To Be Installed On NC Government Buildings
- Neighbors Lobby For More Regulation On Chicken Farms
- Forsyth County Among Worst For Income Mobility
- Playwright Beth Henley, Artist Alexis Lavine, "The Wire", and Composer Tom Hauser
- Environmental Groups Take Legal Action Against Large Factory Farms
Mon December 16, 2013
The Modern Scribe: John Stevens and the Art of Letterforming
John Stevens is an internationally renowned letter artist. His work can be seen everywhere from book covers and libraries to branding images, magazines, even on guitar necks. He has worked with clients such as Atlantic Records, Lucasfilm, and Pepsi, among many others.
John occasionally teaches at the Calligraphy Centre in Winston-Salem and the Cheerio Calligraphy Retreat in the Blue Ridge Mountains – where calligraphers from around the world come to study with renowned instructors. John’s new book is titled Scribe: Artist of the Written Word and is published by John Neal Books in Greensboro. The 264-page book is filled with color images of John’s work throughout his career and insightfully discusses both the craft and expression in letterforming.
Check out John's recent work (inspired by Kurt Schwitters) which was featured as part of the Charlotte and Philip Hanes Art Gallery exhibit Letterforming: