Most Active Stories
- J. W. Pepper Music Presents "Summer Sacred Choral Showcase"
- Triad To Do: The Fantastic Four, Blueberries, and Beermosas
- Triad Arts Live: Snuzz, Jeffrey Dean Foster, and (Coming Up!) The Tyler Nail Trio
- Local Textile Company Makes A 'Seamless' Transition To Spur Growth
- New Discoveries From NASA’s New Horizons Mission to Pluto
Wed April 30, 2014
More Fallout Following 2013 Carbon Monoxide Deaths at Boone Motel
A judge has ordered a company that installed a used swimming pool water heater at a Boone motel to never again work as a plumbing, heating or fire sprinkler contractor. Three people died at the hotel.
Appalachian Hospitality Management has been banned in working as a plumbing, heating or fire sprinkler contractor in North Carolina. The Charlotte Observer reports, Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens issued an injunction against the company. It was requested by the State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors. The defendants denied they acted as contractors but agreed to go along with the order. Three of the company's employees are also named in the injunction.
The company installed a pool water heater at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza. Last year in two separate incidents, three guests died in room 225 as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. In April, 73-year-old Daryl Jenkins and his wife, 72-year-old Shirley Jenkins, of Washington state died. In June, 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams of York County, S.C. and his mother, Jeannie, stayed in the same room. Jeffrey died while Jeannie suffered serious injuries. Room 225 sits a floor above the pool water heater. Investigators reported the device was improperly installed.
Damon Mallatere, who owned Appalachian Hospitality and managed the hotel at the time of the incident, was indicted in January on three charges of involuntary manslaughter and one charge of assault inflicting serious bodily injury. He entered a plea of not guilty for the charges. Mallatere's next court hearing will be June 23.