Most Active Stories
- Developer: Demolishing Historic Apartments Will Boost Winston-Salem Neighborhood
- UNC System Braces For State Budget Cuts
- Major Downtown Winston-Salem Development Awaits City Council Decision
- Online Marketing Tool May Improve Patient Centered Care
- Ardmore Supporters Meet To Discuss Neighborhood Redevelopment Plan
Tue March 12, 2013
NC Senators Vote to Take Control of Charlotte Airport from City
City officials have run the Charlotte Douglas International Airport, the country's eighth-busiest, since the 1930's. Tuesday, the North Carolina Senate voted to give control of the airport to a new, regional airport authority run primarily by representatives of five surrounding counties, the governor and legislative leaders.
Senators opted not to wait until State Treasurer Janet Cowell could report on whether taking away control of a city asset could affect the ability of North Carolina communities to borrow for water systems or other services. Further votes in the Senate and state House are ahead. Republican Sen. Bob Rucho of Mecklenberg County said the move was needed because the airport is an important statewide asset.