Most Active Stories
- Paperhand Puppet Intervention Presents 15th Annual Giant Puppet Pageant
- The Power of Service: Inspiring Winston-Salem One Song at a Time
- Gov. McCrory: Best to Gradually Reform North Carolina's Medicaid System
- Melody Moezzi's "Haldol and Hyacinths", Arts for Life, Jiliana Dulaney's Haute Chocolate, and Irata
- Greensboro-Based Band Irata Rocks Winston-Salem to Chapel Hill This Weekend
Wed February 26, 2014
Paper Lantern Presents "Gruesome Playground Injuries"
What do you get when you cross an accident-prone daredevil and a corrosive masochist? Gruesome Playground Injuries. The play by Rajiv Joseph with “as much humor as horror” according to Variety magazine covers the 30 year long relationship between Doug and Kayleen from an elementary school nurse’s office to the funeral home. Paper Lantern Theatre Company floats through this time span back and forth with the help of music from the 80s, 90s and millennium era songs played on cassette recorders, CDs and ipods respectfully. Each song is carefully curated and treated by Sound Designer Jon Fredette. Gruesome Playground Injuries will also showcase brilliant performances by actors Brian Mullins who plays Dougie, Emily Mark who plays Kayleen.
Gruesome Playground Injuries. The play by Rajiv Joseph, directed by Jim Wren opens tomorrow night, Thursday, February 27th at 8:00 PM at the Triad Stage UpStage Cabaret in Greensboro where it will run through March 9th. Next stop is Hanesbrands Theatre in Winston-Salem from March 13th through the 16th . Gruesome Playground Injuries contains lots of bandages and blood, but the Paper Lantern Theatre Company production is also green. Thanks to Set Designer Vandy Scoates and her recyclable design, the set’s CO2 emissions will be cut in half, and the materials will be reused after the run.