Most Active Stories
- Dash Pop, The B. Kin Band, Gaurang Doshi, and Christopher James Lees on Triad Arts Weekend
- The Art of Body Painting: Meet Artist Cheryl Ann Lipstreu
- UNCG Historian: Greensboro Bill Defies NC History of Local Control
- Music Director Christopher Lees and UNCSA Symphony Orchestra Present "Russian Fireworks"
- Local Filmmakers Screen "Unmappable" at SxSW
Wed January 30, 2013
"Point In Time" Count Today in Guilford
Today in Guilford County, Partners Ending Homelessness is conducting Guilford County's annual "Point In Time" count. It is, as the organization's Executive Director Darryl Kosciak points out, a snapshot of homelessness in the county on a given day.
"The Point In Time Count is a federally-mandated, essentially one-day census of the homeless population in Guilford County. We'll have groups and teams of volunteers scouring Greensboro and High Point and points in-between, trying to get as much information as we can on the folks that are currently outdoors, or in shelters," Kosciak told WFDD News.
And he said, there are particular groups that the volunteers will be seeking out. "In particular, they like to know about the chronic homeless population. And chronic homelessness is defined as someone who has been homeless for longer than a year, and that also has another disabling condition, whether it's mental health, substance abuse or a physical or medical disability."
Last year's count revealed 1005 people experiencing homelessness in Guilford County, 81 of whom were experiencing chronic homelessness. Information and data from this year's count will be released on February 27th.