Most Active Stories
- Weather-Related Closings and Delays for Friday March 7, 2014
- Weather-Related Closings and Delays for Tuesday March 4, 2014
- Your Federal Tax Refund Could Be Delayed
- Guilford County Schools Closed Monday Because of Ongoing Power Outages
- 'Thank God for Gas, Generators & Headlights - Guilford County Residents Struggle Without Power
Tue February 4, 2014
A Point In Time: Finding the Homeless Who Live Among Us
Every year, on a particular night in January, volunteers fan out through their communities, with a very specific mission. It's called the Point In Time count.
Sara Patterson, an Organizational Development Specialist with Partners Ending Homelessness in Guilford County, explains.
This year's count took place last Wednesday night, January 29 – which was one of the coldest nights in a very long time. And the frigid weather did have a bit of an effect on the survey.
Last year’s count found a total of 949 homeless individuals in Greensboro and High Point. Those numbers include homeless people both in and out of shelters, those experiencing chronic homelessness, victims of domestic violence, families with children, and veterans. The number for this year won't be available until later this month.