Most Active Stories
- Governor McCrory Says NC Teachers Will Receive Pay Increase; Medicaid Expansion Still Uncertain
- Doctor Who Illustrated, NC A&T Choir Live in Studio A, Civil War Monuments, and the Nutcracker
- Many Paths, Only One Leads You Home
- FTCC Offers Free Training for Unemployed, Underemployed and Some Military Veterans
- The Art of Sharing, A Dozen Dresses, Photography of Fred Stein, Edward Steichen and More
Thu February 21, 2013
Reynolda House Showcases Gershwin Portraits Both Visual and Musical
Few songwriters have enjoyed the success of George & Ira Gershwin and The Carolina Winter Music Festival reminds us why with “Gershwin Portraits” in Reynolda House Museum of America Art this Sunday, February 24, at 2 p.m.
In the Mary and Charlie Babcock Wing Gallery there will be a concert of selections by the Gershwins celebrating the opening weekend of the new exhibit "Star Power: Edward Steichen's Glamour Photography" including Gershwin Portraits taken by Steichen. Singer Martha Bassett and the Carolina Chamber Symphony Players Jazz Trio will perform an all Gershwin program amidst more than 100 spectacular photographs in the exhibition by the first great American fashion photographer. Martha recently stopped by with pianist Federico Pivetta, and bassist Matt Kendrick for a sampling Live in Studio A.
On Sunday, Steichen biographer and Triad native Penny Niven will have a conversation with Steichen's granddaughter at 3 pm immediately following the performance, and ticket admission covers this at $18 dollars —8 dollars for Reynolda House Members and students, and that includes admission to Reynolda House as well. It’s a full day of American art, history and music.