Most Active Stories
- Weather-Related Closings and Delays for Friday March 7, 2014
- Weather-Related Closings and Delays for Tuesday March 4, 2014
- Your Federal Tax Refund Could Be Delayed
- Guilford County Schools Closed Monday Because of Ongoing Power Outages
- 'Thank God for Gas, Generators & Headlights - Guilford County Residents Struggle Without Power
Wed July 24, 2013
Walden on Wheels: A Memoir About Student Debt, Adventure, and Freedom
Ken Ilgunas was first published in 2009. His article appeared on the news site Salon.com and was titled "I live in a van down by Duke University." At the time, Ilgunas was getting his Master's in Liberal Studies at the University, and striving to stay out of debt. The article broke the silence on one of his methods for remaining debt-free - secretly living in his Ford Econoline van. Ken now has a new book out titled Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom. The book is relevant, honest, and inspiring, and while it addresses his adventures in vandwelling, it tells other important stories as well. Ken joined Associate Producer Bethany Chafin at WFDD, and she began by asking him to describe the three sections of Walden on Wheels.
To read more about Ken's adventures, including his recent expedition hiking the proposed route of the controversial Keystone XL pipeline, visit Ken's blog. And if you can relate to Ken's story, and have one of your own to tell, find us on Facebook and share ways in which you stayed out of debt.