Most Active Stories
- Developer: Demolishing Historic Apartments Will Boost Winston-Salem Neighborhood
- UNC System Braces For State Budget Cuts
- Major Downtown Winston-Salem Development Awaits City Council Decision
- Online Marketing Tool May Improve Patient Centered Care
- Ardmore Supporters Meet To Discuss Neighborhood Redevelopment Plan
Fri March 28, 2014
Winston-Salem Event Highlights Growth of Home Brewing
Gov. Pat McCrory has proclaimed April 2014 as North Carolina Beer Month in recognition of the state’s thriving craft beer industry.
Much of the increase in craft breweries around the state came from an upsurge in home brewing.
According to the American Home Brewers Association, or AHA, more than a million people in the United States brew their own beer at home. The AHA has more than 40,000 members. Many of the top brewers began by creating beers in their home.
Economic experts say North Carolina's craft brewing industry, now boasts about 100 breweries and an estimated $791 million economic impact.
On Saturday, March 29 home brewers from across the region will be joining together at an AHA rally at Foothills Brewing in downtown Winston-Salem. They will tour the brewery, join in question-and-answer sessions with the brewery staff and swap beer recipes.
The AHA rallies are free for members, but offer the opportunity for anyone to join on site. The Winston-Salem rally at Foothills Brewing will take place from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.