Most Active Stories
- Paperhand Puppet Intervention Presents 15th Annual Giant Puppet Pageant
- Common Core Uncertainty Puts NC Educators in Limbo
- Melody Moezzi's "Haldol and Hyacinths", Arts for Life, Jiliana Dulaney's Haute Chocolate, and Irata
- Gov. McCrory: Best to Gradually Reform North Carolina's Medicaid System
- William Tyler, Clark Whittington of Art-o-mat, Mary Dalton, and Hiss Golden Messenger
Wed February 26, 2014
The Worlds Top Gymnasts Will Compete in Greensboro Saturday
Some of the top gymnasts from around the world will be in Greensboro this weekend.
USA Gymnastics is hosting the 2014 AT&T American Cup. The event will take place at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex on Saturday, March 1. A four foot high stage has been built to showcase the best in men’s and women’s gymnastics.
Ten Olympians and five World medalists will compete in several events including the uneven bars, pommel horse and floor exercise.
Hill Carrow, CEO of Sports & Properties, Inc. based in Raleigh, is the local organizing committee chairman for the event. He says gymnastics royalty, including Olympic gold medalist Mary Lou Retton and Peter Vidmar are also expected to attend the competition.
This is the first time the AT&T American Cup has been held in the Carolinas.
In addition to the American Cup on Saturday, the coliseum will also hold The Nastia Liukin Cup on Friday. The competition features top Junior Olympic female gymnasts. The cup is named for five-time Olympic and nine-time World medal winner Nastia Liukin.
Hill says USA gymnastics chose Greensboro for its location and hospitality.
NBC Sports will broadcast the AT&T American Cup in Greensboro live from 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. on Saturday. The Nastia Liukin Cup competition will begin at 7:30 p.m. Friday, February 28.
Tickets for both events are available through Ticketmaster.